Genesis: Boring Stuff
- The entire tenth chapter is the first of many boring genealogies
(see Genesis 11:10-32, 1 Chronicles 1-9,
Matthew 1:1-17, Luke.3:23-28 for
other examples) that we are told to avoid in 1 Timothy 1:4
and Titus 3:9
("Avoid foolish questions and genealogies.") 10:1-32
- "These are the generations of Shem....." Another boring genealogy 11:10-32
- Abraham's boring speech to the sons of Heth. 23:3-20
- "I will not eat, until I have told mine errand."
Abraham's slave tells Laban the story that was just told in the first half of this chapter. (Abe sent him to find a wife,
the slave told God the secret code words to use, and Rebekah showed up and said the magic words.) 24:33-48
- "Now these are the generations of Ishmael...." 25:12-18
- "Isaac digged again the wells of water...." 26:18-22
- "These are the generations of Esau...." 36:1-43
- Pharaoh's first dream is repeated. 41:17-21
- The second dream is repeated. 41:22-24
- Judah repeats the boring story that has already been told twice before (42:19-24, 29-34).
- "And these are the names of the children of Israel, which came into Egypt...." 46:8-27
- "Then Joseph came and told Pharaoh, and said...." 47:1-27
- Jacob's deathbed speech 48:1-32
- "Joseph fell upon his father's face, and wept...."
The boring end of Genesis 50:1-26