And they rent their clothes
- Reuben returned unto the pit; and, behold, Joseph was not in the pit; and he rent his clothes. Genesis 37:29
- And Jacob rent his clothes. Genesis 37:34
- They speedily took down every man his sack to the ground, and opened every man his sack ...
and the cup was found in Benjamin's sack. Then they rent their clothes. Genesis 44:12-13
- And Joshua ... and Caleb ... rent their clothes. Numbers 14:6
- And Joshua rent his clothes. Joshua 7:6
- Jephthah came to ... his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances ...
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes. Judges 11:34-35
- And there ran a man of Benjamin out of the army, and came to Shiloh the same day with his clothes rent,
and with earth upon his head. 1 Samuel 4:12
- Samuel ... laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent. 1 Samuel 15:27-28
- Then David took hold on his clothes, and rent them; and likewise all the men that were with him. 2 Samuel 1:11
- David said to Joab, and to all the people that were with him, Rend your clothes. 2 Samuel 3:31
- And Tamar put ashes on her head, and rent her garment of divers colours that was on her, and laid her hand on her head, and went on crying.
2 Samuel 13:19
- Then the king arose, and tare his garments, and lay on the earth; and all his servants stood by with their clothes rent.
2 Samuel 13:31
- And it came to pass, that when David was come to the top of the mount, where he worshipped God, behold, Hushai the Archite
came to meet him with his coat rent, and earth upon his head. 2 Samuel 15:32
- Ahijah caught the new garment that was on him, and rent it in twelve pieces ... for thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel,
Behold, I will rend the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon.1 Kings 11:30-31
- When Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes. 1 Kings 21:27
- And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father ... and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.
2 Kings 2:12
- When the king of Israel had read the letter ... he rent his clothes. 2 Kings 5:7
- When Elisha the man of God had heard that the king of Israel had rent his clothes, that he sent to the king, saying, Wherefore
hast thou rent thy clothes? 2 Kings 5:8
- So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him. And it
came to pass, when the king heard the words of the woman ... he rent his clothes. 2 Kings 6:30
- Then Athaliah rent her clothes, and said, Treason, Treason. 2:Kings 11:14,
2 Chronicles 23:13
- Shebna ... and Joah ... with their clothes rent. 2 Kings 18:37
- When king Hezekiah heard it, that he rent his clothes. 2 Kings 19:1
- When the king had heard the words of the book of the law, that he rent his clothes. 2 Kings 22:11
- Because ... thou ... hast rent thy clothes ... I also have heard thee, saith the LORD. 2 Kings 22:19
- When the king had heard the words of the law, that he rent his clothes. 2 Chronicles 34:19
- Because thine heart was tender ... didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD.
2 Chronicles 34:27
- And when I heard this thing, I rent my garment and my mantle, and plucked off the hair of my head and of my beard,
and sat down astonished. Ezra 9:3
- Having rent my garment and my mantle, I fell upon my knees. Ezra 9:5
- Mordecai rent his clothes ... and went out into the midst of the city, and cried with a loud and a bitter cry.
- Then Job arose, and rent his mantle. Job 1:20
- When they lifted up their eyes afar off ... they lifted up their voice, and wept; and they rent every one his mantle.
- When king Hezekiah heard it, that he rent his clothes ... and went into the house of the LORD. Isaiah 37:1
- There came certain from Shechem, from Shiloh, and from Samaria, even fourscore men, having their beards shaven, and their clothes rent, and having cut themselves,
with offerings and incense in their hand, to bring them to the house of the LORD. Jeremiah 41:5
- Therefore also now, saith the Lord ... rend your heart, and not your garments. Joel 2:12-13
- Then the high priest rent his clothes. Matthew 26:65, Mark 14:63
- When the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out, and saying,
Sirs, why do ye these things? Acts 14:14-15
- The magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them. Acts 16:22