It's amazing how many things took forty days in the Bible.
Here's a list.
- It rained for 40 days and 40 nights during the flood of Noah. Genesis 7:4, 7:12.
- The flood also lasted 40 days. Genesis 7:17
(Or was it 150 days?)
- Noah opened the window of the ark at the end of 40 days. Genesis 8:6
- When Joseph died, it took the Egyptians 40 days to embalm him. Genesis 50:3
- Moses was on the mount in the midst of the cloud for 40 days and 40 nights. Exodus 24:18
- When Moses received the ten commandments, he didn't eat or drink for 40 days and 40 nights. Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 9:9, 11, 18, 25, 10:10
- The spies that Moses sent to Canaan stayed there for 40 days. Numbers 13:25, 14:34
- Goliath came near and "presented himself forty days." 1 Samuel 17:16
- Elijah lived for 40 days on two (angel food cake) meals. 1 Kings 19:8
- Ezekiel lay on his left side for 40 days. Ezekiel 4:6
- Jonah prophesied that in 40 days Nineveh would be overthrown. Jonah 3:4
- Horses and soldiers appear in the sky above Jerusalem for 40 days. 2 Maccabees 5:2
- Jesus fasted and was tempted by the devil for 40 days. Matthew 4:1-2, Mark 1:13, Luke 4:2
- Jesus ascended into heaven 40 days after his resurrection. Acts 1:3