Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
1 Peter 5
The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a
witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that
shall be revealed:||
Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof,
not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;||
Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the
And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of
glory that fadeth not away.||
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be
subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the
proud, and giveth grace to the humble.||
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may
exalt you in due time:||
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.||
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil,
as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:||
(5:8) "The devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."|
Is the devil free to roam?
How are Jesus and Satan alike?
Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are
accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by
Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect,
stablish, strengthen, settle you.
To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.||
By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written
briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God
wherein ye stand.||
The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you;
and so doth Marcus my son.||
Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that
are in Christ Jesus. Amen.
- Elders, feed the flock of God.
- The elders which are among you I exhort, ... Feed the flock of God ... not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre,
but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being examples to the flock.
- Young people, submit to your elders.
- Ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. 5:5a
- Everyone should be subject to everyone else.
- Yea, all of you be subject one to another. 5:5b
- Watch out for the devil.
- Be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour. 5:8
- Greet each other with a kiss of charity.
- Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. 5:14