Exodus: Science and History
- The birth story of Moses is suspiciously similar to that of the birth of Sargon, an
Akkadian monarch from the 3rd millennium BCE.
(BBC: The tale of the
- The Israelite population went from 70 (or 75) to several million in a few hundred years.
1:5,7, 12:37, 38:26
- Why are some people born with disabilities? Because God deliberately makes them that way. 4:11
- God killed Egyptians and their livestock by smashing them with huge hailstones mixed with fire. 9:24
- God led the Israelites through the land of the Philistines, hundreds of years before the Philistines
were established in Canaan. 13:17
- If you do what God says, he won't send his diseases on you (like he did to the Egyptians).
But otherwise.... 15:26
- "The manna referred to in the Bible, in Exodus 16:14, seems to have been
the dried excrement of Trabutina mannipara, a scale insect that feeds
on tamarisk trees." Benjamin B. Normark, The
Sex Lives of Scales, Natural History, Sept. 2004. 16:14-15
- It took the Israelites 40 years to travel from Egypt to Canaan, yet such a journey, even at that time,
would have taken no more than a few weeks. 16:35
- A magical trumpet played loud while God came down in smoke, fire, and earthquakes onto Mt. Sinai. 19:16-18
- "In six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them."
Believers often say that the "days" of creation should be taken allegorically, but this verse is quite clear. God created the
universe in six 24 hour days. 20:11
- Serve God and you'll never get sick, be hungry, thirsty, or barren. 23:25-26
- A group of Hebrew slaves carried 1000 kg of gold, 3500 kg of silver, and 2450 kg of brass with them as they
traveled through the wilderness. (And this was after they used all their gold to make a goldent calf.)
This amount of gold and silver would be worth more than $40 million US dollars today.38:24-25, 29
- Seventy people (Genesis 46:27, Exodus 1:5) became
several million in less than forty years during the Exodus. 38:26