Science and History
Cruelty and Violence
Injustice in Mark
- Jesus becomes angry at those who said that he had "an unclean spirit," so he announces the unforgivable sin:
"blasphemy against the Holy Ghost." 3:29
- Jesus explains why he speaks in parables: to confuse people so they will go to hell.
- "For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath."
-- The US Republican Party motto 4:25
- Jesus sends devils into 2000 pigs, causing them to jump off a cliff and be drowned in the sea. When the people
hear about it, they beg Jesus to leave. 5:12-13
- Any city that doesn't "receive" the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of
Sodom and Gomorrah. 6:11
- Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament
law. (See Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21) 7:9-10
- Jesus initially refuses to cast out a devil from a Syrophoenician (non-Jewish) woman's daughter, calling the woman a "dog".
After much pleading, he finally agrees to cast out the devil. 7:27
- If you're ashamed of Jesus, he'll be ashamed of you. 8:38
- Jesus gets mad at his disciples for failing to cast out a devil and says, "O faithless generation, how long shall I be with
you? how long shall I suffer you? 9:19
- Jesus tells us to cut off our hands and feet, and pluck out our eyes to avoid going to hell.
- Jesus says that rich people cannot go to heaven. For "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than
for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 10:25
- Jesus will reward men who abandon their wives and families. 10:29-30
- God is like a rich man who owns a
vineyard and rents it to poor farmers. When he sends servants to collect the rent, the tenants beat or kill them. So
he sent his son to collect the rent, and they kill him too. Then the owner comes and kills the farmers and gives the
vineyard to others. 12:1-9
- In the last days God will make things especially rough on pregnant women.
- Ointment for Jesus' head is more important than helping the poor. 14;3-7
- Jesus says that those that believe and are baptized will be saved, while those who don't
will be damned. 16:16