Luke: Family Values
- When Jesus' parents begin the long trip back to Nazareth, the twelve year old Jesus stays behind, without
even asking for their permission. Mary and Joseph search for him for three days and when they finally find him, Jesus
doesn't apologize. Rather, he blames them for not knowing that he was doing his real father's business.
- Peter, James, and John leave everything (including their families) to follow Jesus.
(See 4:38 for reference to Peter's wife.) 5:11
- Jesus, when told that his mother and brothers want to see him, ignores and insults them by saying that his
mother and brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it. 8:20-21
- Jesus won't even let his followers bury their dead parents or say farewell to their families before abandoning
- Jesus insults his mother (the Most Holy Blessed Virgin Mary). 11:27-28
- Jesus prophesies that families will be divided because of him and his teachings. Sadly, this is one prophecy
that has been fulfilled. 12:52-53
- Jesus says that his disciples must hate their families (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives,
children) and themselves. 14:26
- If you want to be a disciple of Jesus, you must abandon everything, including your family.
- Abandon your wife and family for Jesus and he'll give you a big reward.
- Jesus says that everyone in heaven is single. Does that mean that married people can't go there, that they must
get a divorce once they arrive, or what? 20:27-35
- "Ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks."
Families and friendships will be torn apart because of Jesus. 21:16