- Genesis 9:25-27
- And he [Noah] said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall
be his servant.
- Genesis 16:8-9
- And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou
go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.
And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her
- Genesis 17:12-13
- And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your
generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which
is not of thy seed. He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money,
must needs be circumcised.
- Genesis 24:35-36
- And the LORD hath blessed my master [Abraham] greatly; and he is become great: and
he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants,
and maidservants, and camels, and asses. And Sarah my master's wife bare a son to my master
when she was old: and unto him hath he given all that he hath.
- Genesis 26:12-14
- Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an
hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him.
And the man waxed great, and went forward, and grew until he became very great:
For he had possession of flocks, and possession of herds, and great store of servants.
- Exodus 12:44
- But every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof.
- Exodus 20:17
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's
wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor
any thing that is thy neighbour's.
- Exodus 21:2-32
- If thou buy a Hebrew servant.... (vv.2-6)
And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant.... (v.7)
If a man smite his servant or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his
hand, he shall be surely punished; notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be
punished, for he is his money. (vv.20-21)
And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall
let him go free for his eye's sake.
And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free
for his tooth's sake. (vv.26-27)
If the ox shall push a manservant or a maidservant;
he shall give unto their master thirty shekels of silver. (v.32)
- Exodus 22:2-3
- If a thief ... have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.
- Leviticus 19:20
- And whosoever lieth
carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to an husband, and
not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged; they shall
not be put to death, because she was not free.
- Leviticus 22:11
- If the priest buy any soul with his money....
- Leviticus 25:39, 44-46
- And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee.... (v.39)
Thy bond-men and thy bond-maids which thou shalt have, shall be of the
heathen that are round about you: of them shall ye buy bond-men and bond-maids. Moreover, of the
children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families
that are with you, which they begat in your land. And they shall be your
possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit
them for a possession, they shall be your bond-man forever. (vv.44-46)
- Deuteronomy 5:21
- Neither shalt thou
desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house,
his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or
any thing that is thy neighbour's.
- Deuteronomy 15:12
- And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman be sold unto thee....
- Deuteronomy 20:10-14
- When thou comest nigh unto a city to fight against it, then proclaim peace unto it.
And it shall be, if it make thee answer of peace, and open unto thee, then
it shall be, that all the people that is found therein shall be tributaries
unto thee, and they shall serve thee. (vv.10-11)
But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the
city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself. (v.14)
- Joshua 9:23
- Now therefore ye are cursed, and there shall none of you be freed from
being bondmen, and hewers of wood and drawers of water for the house of my
- Luke 12:46-47
- The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour
when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with
the unbelievers. And that servant,
which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according
to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
- Luke 17:7-9
- But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say
unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird
thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou
shalt eat and drink?
Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded
him? I trow not.
- 1 Corinthians 7:21-22
- Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it
rather. For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman:
likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
- Ephesians 6:5
- Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers;
but in singleness of heart, fearing God.
- Colossians 3:22
- Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and
trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.
- Colossians 4:1
- Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing
that ye also have a Master in heaven.
- 1 Timothy 6:1-5
- Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their masters
worthy of all honor, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because
they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful
and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.
If any man teach otherwise ... he is proud, knowing nothing.... From such withdraw thyself.
- Titus 2:9-10
- Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as
menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God.
- 1 Peter 2:18
- Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also
to the froward.
- Exodus 21:16
- He that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely
be put to death.
- Leviticus 19:13, 18, 33
- Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbor, neither rob him: the wages of him that is
hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning. (v.13)
Love thy neighbor as thyself. (v.18)
The stranger, ... you shall not do him wrong. . . . you shall
love him as yourself. (v.33)
- Leviticus 25:10, 17
- Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof. (v.10)
Ye shall not therefore oppress one another. (v.17)
- Deuteronomy 15:9-10
- Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh
year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor
brother, and thou givest him naught; and he cry unto the LORD against thee, and
it be sin unto thee.
- Deuteronomy 23:15-16
- You shall not hand over to his master a slave who has escaped from his master
to you. He shall live with you in your midst, in the place which he shall
choose in one of your towns where it pleases him; you shall not mistreat him.
- Deuteronomy 24:7, 14-15
- If a man be found stealing any of his brethren of the children of Israel,
and maketh merchandise of him, or selleth him; then that thief shall die. (v.7)
Thou shalt not oppress a hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be
of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates: at
his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it, for
he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the
LORD, and it be sin unto thee. (vv.14-15)
- Proverbs 22:22-23
- Rob not the poor, because he is poor: neither oppress the afflicted in the
gate: for the LORD will plead their cause, and spoil the soul of those that
- Isaiah 58:6
- Is not this the fast that I have chosen? ... To undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye
break every yoke?
- Jeremiah 22:13
- Woe unto him that buildeth his house by unrighteousness, and
his chambers by wrong; that useth his neighbors service without wages, and
giveth him not for his work.
- Malachi 3:5
- And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against ... those
that oppress the hireling in his wages.
- Matthew 23:10
- Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
- Mark 10:42-43
- But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which
are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and
their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you.
- 1 Corinthians 7:23
- Be not ye the servants of men.
- Galatians 3:28
- There is neither bond nor free ... for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 2:3
- Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each
esteem other better than themselves.
- Philemon 1:10-15
- I beseech thee for my son Onesimus ... that thou shouldest
receive him for ever; Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved.
- Hebrews 13:3
- Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer
adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.