Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Isaiah: Science and History
- "When he ariseth to shake terribly the earth."
(Earthquakes happen when God gets angry.) 2:19, 21
- "He has stretched forth his hand against them ... and the hills did tremble." (God makes earthquakes when he gets angry.)
- "He [God] ... will hiss unto them from the end of the earth."(The earth is flat and has an end.) 5:26
- "Neither doth his heart think so"
In the Bible, people think with their hearts not their heads. 10:7
- "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb...." I wonder what will become of the spiders.
Will they be more friendly toward flies? And will the parasitic wasps find another way to feed their larvae? Or will they
continue to feed off the living bodies of caterpillars? 11:6,
- "And the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den." A cockatrice
is a serpent, hatched from a cock's egg, that can kill with a glance. They are rare nowadays.
- God will gather up the people of Judea "from the four corners of the earth." In the Bible's view, the earth is flat with four
- The moon produces its own light and the earth does not move (except
when God gets angry and shakes the heavens). 13:10-13
- When God gets really angry, he causes earthquakes. 13:13
- Dragons will live in Babylonian palaces and satyrs will dance there.
- Out of the serpent's root shall come forth a cockatrice, and his fruit shall be a fiery flying serpent." What ever happened
to these fascinating biblical creatures? 14:29
- "The foundations of the earth do shake ... The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard."
(Earthquakes are all a part of God's wondrous plan.) 24:18-20
- God will punish the leviathan ("that crooked serpent") with his own sword and will kill the sea dragon.
- Natural disasters (earthquakes, storms, fires, tsunamis) are caused by, and are a sign
of, God's wrath. 29:7
- Among the many strange creatures mentioned in the Bible that no longer seem to exist is the "fiery flying serpent."
- "The light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be
sevenfold." Well, this is one prophecy that will never come true. Since the moon has no light of its own, but only
reflects that of the sun, it could never shine like the sun. And the sun will not, at least not while there are humans to see
it, shine 7 times as bright as it does now. 30:26
- "The LORD shall cause his glorious voice to be heard, and shall shew
the lighting down of his armwith the indignation of his anger, and with
the flame of a devouring fire, with scattering, and tempest, and hailstones." 30:30
- "The host of heaven shall be dissolved ... and ... shall fall down."
The stars will dissolve and fall from the sky. 34:4
- "And the unicorns shall come down with them." 34:7
- Dragons and satyrs may not seem real to you, but they did to the author of these verses.
- "In the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes." 35:7
- God makes the sun move backwards 10 degrees. Now that's a neat trick! 38:8
- The earth is a flat disc that God looks down upon from his throne in
- God made the stars, presumably all at once on day four of creation, and "not one faileth." But new stars are being
formed today and old stars are dying, just as they have been doing for the last 13 billion years or so. 40:26
- Dragons and owls will thank God for irrigation. 43:20
- God set the earth on foundations so it doesn't move, his hand is as big as the universe,
and the stars stand up straight when he calls them. 48:13
- God cut Rahab (the sea
monster) to pieces, wounded the dragon, and dried up the sea. 51:9-10
- Bad people hatch poisonous cockatrice eggs. Whoever eats the eggs will die, and
when the eggs are crushed a viper hatches out of them. 59:5
- "Neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee." Of course the moon doesn't give off
light, but only reflects the light from the sun. 60:19
- Immortal worms: "Their worm shall not die" 66:24