In the last days ... shall be ... silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the
knowledge of the truth.
- 2 Timothy 3:1-7
2 Timothy for Skeptics
Like the other Pastoral Epistles (1 Timothy and Titus), 2 Timothy was written by someone who claimed to be Paul, but wasn't. It was written by an
unknown author long after the real Paul had died. (1)
There's nothing very exciting in this one, but here are a few things of that might be of interest.
- "If we deny him, he also will deny us." (Fair is fair!) 2:12
- The devil can take us captive any time he pleases. 2:26
- In the last days people will become evil, "without natural affection." Fundamentalist
say that this refers to homosexuals. 3:1-3
- In the last days, "silly women" who are "ever learning" will be "led away with divers lusts." 3:6-7
- "All scripture is given by the inspiration of God." Even Judges 19:22-30 and
Ezekiel 23:20? 3:16