Jeremiah: Good Stuff
- The people of Israel and Judah finally look behind the curtain and see that there is no god and the prophets are liars.
- "Oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed
not innocent blood." 7:6
- "Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good."
Don't be afraid of gods. They can't hurt you. They can't help you, either, because they don't exit. (Just like Yahweh!)
- Defend the helpless and oppressed; don't harm strangers, widows, orphans, or other innocent people.
- Pay a fair wage to your employees. 22:13
- "Hearken not to the words of your prophets that prophesy unto you." (The best advice in the book of Jeremiah!) 27:16
- For some strange reason, God tells the people to do something good: free their slaves.
And the people do that, for a while, anyway. But then they retrieved them again. 34:8-16