1 Chronicles : Cruelty and Violence
- God killed Er for being "evil in the sight of the Lord." 2:3
- The sons of Reuben made war with the Hagarites and "there fell down many slain, because the
war was from God." They did pretty well for themselves, too, in God's war, taking 250,000
sheep and 100,000 slaves. 5:18-22
- But the Israelites "transgressed against the God of their fathers, and went a whoring
after the gods of the people of the land, whom God destroyed before them." So God inspired the
Assyrians to enslave the Israelites. 5:25-26
- "Phinehas ... the LORD was with him."
See Numbers 25:7-8 to see what he did when the Lord was with him.
- "Now the Philistines fought against Israel; and the men of Israel fled from
before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa."
God used the Philistines to kill the Israelite soldiers to punish Saul for not killing all the Amalekites. (See
1 Samuel 28:19) 10:1
- Saul died for refusing God's order to kill all of the Amalekites
(1 Sam 15:2-3, 18-19) and for consulting a witch
(1 Sam 28:8-19). 10:13-14
- "David said, Whosoever smiteth the Jebusites first shall be chief and captain." 11:6
- The chief of David's captains killed with his own spear 300 guys at one time.
- Eleazar the son of Dodo ... one of the three mighties ... slew the Philistines; and the LORD saved them by a great deliverance."
- Abishai killed 300 men with his spear. 11:20
- "Benaiah ... slew two lionlike men of Moab: also he went down and slew a lion." 11:22
- God kills Uzza for trying to keep the ark from falling. 13:9-10
- "The LORD said unto him, Go up; for I will deliver them into thine hand."
God tells David to go to war with the Philistines, promising to deliver them into his hand. 14:10
- "God hath broken in upon mine enemies by mine hand."
God helps David slaughter his enemies. 14:11
- "David therefore did as God commanded him: and they smote the host of the Philistines." 14:16
- "David also houghed all the chariot horses." 18:4
- "David slew of the Syrians two and twenty thousand men." 18:5
- "The LORD preserved David whithersoever he went." 18:6
- "Abishai ... slew of the Edomites in the valley of
salt eighteen thousand ... and all the Edomites became David's servants. Thus the LORD preserved David whithersoever he went."
- David kills 7000 men in chariots and 40,000 footmen. 19:18
- David's army "wastes the children of Ammon ... besieged Rabbah ... and destroyed it."
- David tortured or enslaved (depending on translation) all the inhabitants of several cities. 20:3
- God killed 70,000 mean (and their families) in a plague to punish David for having a census that God (or Satan) inspired.