Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Dwindling in Unbelief
SAB: 1 Kings
Get the SAB
1 Kings: Family Values
- Old King David tries to get some heat by having a beautiful virgin minister unto him. 1:1-4
- In David's last words, he commands his son Solomon to murder Joab and Shimei. 2:1-9
- Adonijah (Solomon's half-brother) sends Bathsheba (Solomon's mother) to ask King Solomon to
let Adonijah have sex with his David's concubine Abishag. But
Solomon had him murdered instead. 2:13-25
- Solomon has his brother (Adonijah) murdered. 2:24-25
- Solomon carries out the deathbed instructions of his father David by having Joab murdered. 2:29-34
- "King Solomon loved many strange women."
God didn't mind the number so much; it was their "strangeness" that he objected to. 11:1
- "He [Solomon] had seven hundred wives ... and three hundred concubines." 11:3
- "In thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son."
God is angry with Solomon, but decides to punish Solomon's son rather than Solomon himself, because he liked Solomon's
father (David) so darned much. 11:11-12
- "When thy feet enter into the city, the child shall die." 14:12
- "When she came to the threshold of the door, the child died."
To punish Jeroboam for making gold calves, God killed his son. 14:17
- Did Abijam marry his own mother?
Since Asa's father was Abijam and they had the same mother (Maachah), Abijam was both father and
brother to Asa. 15:9-10
- Baasha kills "all of the house of Jeroboam" leaving none "to breath." This slaughter was done "according to the
word of the Lord." 15:29
- "I will ... make thy house like the house of Jeroboam. Him that dieth of Baasha in the city shall the dogs eat;
and him that dieth of his in the fields shall the fowls of the air eat."
God says he's going to kill Baasha's family (like he did Jeroboam's). 16:3-4
- "He slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks,
nor of his friends. Thus did Zimri destroy all the house of Baasha, according to the word of the LORD."
Zimri kills everyone "that pisseth
against a wall ... according to the word of the Lord." 16:11-12
- "He laid the foundation thereof in Abiram his firstborn, and set up the gates thereof in his
youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD."
When Hiel rebuilds Jericho, he lays the foundation with the body of his oldest son and sets up the gates with his
youngest son's body "according to the word of the Lord."
Did God want Hiel to sacrifice his sons in this way? Did he make him do it? What does "according to the word of the Lord" mean here?
- "Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days:
but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house."
Since Ahab humbles himself before the Lord, God decides not to bring evil on him; he'll
he'll bring it on Ahab's son instead. 21:29