They put sackcloth on their loins
- Jacob ... put sackcloth upon his loins, and mourned for his son many days. Genesis 37:34
- David said to Joab, and to all the people that were with him ... gird you with sackcloth. 2 Samuel 3:31
- And his servants said unto him ... let us, I pray thee, put sackcloth on our loins, and ropes upon our heads ... So they girded sackcloth
on their loins, and put ropes on their heads. 2 Kings 20:31-32
- When Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
1 Kings 21:27
- When the king heard the words of the woman ... he passed by upon the wall, and the people looked, and, behold, he had sackcloth within upon his flesh.
2 Kings 6:30
- When king Hezekiah heard it, he ... covered himself with sackcloth, and went into the house of the LORD. 2 Kings 19:1
- David and the elders of Israel ... were clothed in sackcloth. 1 Chronicles 21:16
- Mordecai ... put on sackcloth with ashes, and went out into the midst of the city, and cried with a loud and a bitter cry. Esther 4:1
- There was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes. Esther 4:3
- I have sewed sackcloth upon my skin, and defiled my horn in the dust. Job 16:15
- I made sackcloth also my garment; and I became a proverb to them. Psalm 69:11
- And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well
set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth. Isaiah 3:24
- On all their heads shall be baldness, and every beard cut off ... they shall gird themselves with sackcloth ... every one
shall howl, weeping abundantly. Isaiah 15:2-3
- At the same time spake the LORD ... saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins ... and he did so, walking naked.
- In that day did the Lord GOD of hosts call ... to girding with sackcloth. Isaiah 22:12
- Tremble, ye women that are at ease; be troubled, ye careless ones: strip you, and make you bare, and gird sackcloth upon your loins.
- When king Hezekiah heard it ... he ... covered himself with sackcloth, and went into the house of the LORD. Isaiah 37:1
- Gird you with sackcloth, lament and howl: for the fierce anger of the LORD is not turned back from us. Jeremiah 4:8
- Gird thee with sackcloth, and wallow thyself in ashes. Jeremiah 6:26
- Every head shall be bald, and every beard clipped: upon all the hands shall be cuttings, and upon the loins sackcloth. Jeremiah 48:37
- Gird you with sackcloth; lament, and run to and fro by the hedges. Jeremiah 49:3
- The elders of the daughter of Zion sit upon the ground, and ... have girded themselves with sackcloth. Lamentations 2:10
- They shall also gird themselves with sackcloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads.
- And they shall make themselves utterly bald for thee, and gird them with sackcloth, and they shall weep for thee with bitterness
of heart and bitter wailing. Ezekiel 27:31
- I set my face unto the Lord God ... with ... sackcloth, and ashes. Daniel 9:3
- Lament like a virgin girded with sackcloth for the husband of her youth. Joel 1:8
- Gird yourselves, and ... howl ... lie all night in sackcloth. Joel 1:13
- I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head;
and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day. Amos 8:10
- So the people of Nineveh believed God ... and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. Jonah 3:5
- The king of Nineveh ... laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. Jonah 3:6
- Let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God. Jonah 3:8
- Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon,
they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. Matthew 11:4, Luke 10:13
- I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.