What the Bible says about Parenting
- To be a follower of Jesus you must hate your children.
- If any man come to me, and hate
not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and
sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. -- Luke 14:26
- Parents should beat their children.
- He that spareth his rod hateth
his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. -- Proverbs 13:24
- Foolishness is bound in the
heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. -- Proverbs 22:15
- Withhold not correction from
the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou
shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. -- Proverbs 23:13-14
- Disobedient children must be executed.
- He that smiteth his father, or
his mother, shall be surely put to death. -- Exodus 21:15
- He that curseth his father, or
his mother, shall surely be put to death. -- Exodus 21:17
- For every one that curseth his
father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father
or his mother; his blood shall be upon him. -- Leviticus 20:9
- God commanded, saying, Honour
thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die
the death. -- Matthew 15:4
- Like Abraham, parents should be willing to kill their children for God.
- And it came to pass after
these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him ... Take now thy
son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of
Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains
which I will tell thee of.... And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took
the knife to slay his son. -- Genesis 22:1-2,10
- God's instructions for selling your daughter
- And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant....
-- Exodus 21:7
- Sometimes it is necessary to sacrifice your children to God as a burnt offering.
- Then the Spirit of the LORD
came upon Jephthah.... And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If
thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, Then
it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet
me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the
LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.... And the LORD
delivered them into his hands.... And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his
house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with
dances.... And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned
unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had
vowed. -- Judges 11:29-39
- Lot, who was a just and righteous man (2 Peter 2:7-8) and therefore a biblical model
for fathers everywhere, offered his daughters to a sex-crazed crowd, and then got drunk and impregnated them.
- Behold now, I have two
daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto
you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes. ...
And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is
not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth: Come, let us make our father drink wine, and
we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their
father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her
father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. And it came to pass on the morrow, that
the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this
night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their
father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor
when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. -- Genesis 19:8,