Science and History
Cruelty and Violence
- Have Christians been raised with Christ? 6:4-5
- Does Hell exist? 6:21, 23
- "The whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."
Some Christians use this verse to show that we live in a
sin cursed world. (But
others disagree.) 8:22
- Is it OK to drink alcohol? 13:13,
- "Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church."
The Revised Standard Version calls Phoebe a
"deaconess", which would make would make her a church leader. If the
RSV translation is correct, this verse contradicts
the requirement that women not be permitted to teach and that they must be
silent in church. (1 Cor 14:34-35, 1 Tim 2:11-12). 16:1
- "Junia ... of note among the apostles"
Was there a woman apostle? That is how some interpret this verse and use it to justify a more active
role for women in the church. 16:7
- "Mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the
doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."
Jehovah's Witnesses use these verses to justify disfellowshipping
those who disagree with the Governing Body. 16:17-18