Family Values in the Quran
4: Women (Al-Nisa')
- It's OK to have two, three, or four wives, slave or free. 4:3
- Males are to inherit twice that of females. 4:11
- Lewd women are to be confined to their houses until death.
- You may not forcibly disinherit women, unless they are flagrantly lewd.
- Instructions for exchanging wives 4:20
- Don't marry women that are already married -- unless they're slaves that you obtained in war. Then it's OK.
- If you can't afford to marry free Muslims women, go ahead and marry slaves, as long as they're Muslims. 4:25a
- If your slave wives are guilty of lewdness, punish them half as much as you punish your lewd free wives.
- Men are in charge of women, because Allah made men to be better than women.
Refuse to have sex with women from whom you fear rebellion, and scourge them.
- Virgins await those who enter paradise. 4:57
7: The Heights (Al-Ar'af)
- Men and women are enemies! (Or is it humans and Iblis? Sometimes Allah isn't all that clear about these things.)
8: Spoils of War (Al-Anfal)
- "Your possessions and children are a test."
(Don't let them get in the way of more important things -- like jihad.) 8:28
9: Repentance (Al-Tawbah)
- Don't be friends with with your disbelieving family members. Those who do
so are wrong-doers. 9:23
- If your fathers, and your sons, and your brethren, and your wives ... are dearer to you than Allah and His messenger ...
then wait till Allah bringeth His command to pass." 9:24
- Those who refuse to fight for Allah will be treated (along with their children) as unbelievers.
- Don't pray for idolaters (not even for your family) after it is clear they
are people of hell-fire. 9:113
- Abraham disowned his father for being an enemy of Allah.
- Lot offers his daughters to a mob of angel rapers. 11:78
- Lot offers his daughters to a mob of angel rapers. 15:71
33: The Clans (Al-Ahzab)
- Proclaim real parentage. (Adoption is not permitted.) 33:5
- The prophet [Muhammad] is closer to believers than their own selves. And his wives are like their own mothers. 33:6
- If Muhammad's wives are good, Allah will give them "an immense reward."
- The wives of Muhammad will be punished double for lewdness. (And that is easy for Allah.)
- The wives of Muhammad are not like other women. They must not leave their houses.
- When Allah or Muhammad decide that a man and a woman should marry, they must marry.
- Allah gave Zeyd to Muhammad in marriage. This was so that all Muslims would know that it's OK to
marry your adopted son's ex-wife. 33:37
- Allah says it is lawful for Muhammad to marry any woman, and however many women, he wants.
- If men must speak to Muhammad's wives they must speak from behind a curtain. And no one must
ever marry one of his wives. 33:53
- But it's OK for Muhammad's wives to talk with certain people. 33:55
- Women must cover themselves when in public. 33:59
37: Those Who Set The Ranks (As-Saffat)
- When Abraham's (unnamed) son was old enough to walk, Allah told Abraham in a dream to sacrifice him. So Abraham asked Ishmael
if it'd be OK with him, and Ishmael said, "Sure thing, Dad, go ahead and kill me for God. I won't even flinch." 37:102
44: Smoke (Al-Dukhan)
- Allah will provide beautiful wives for the men in the garden. 44:54
52: The Mount (At-Tur)
- Allah will reward those in the Garden with beautiful wives with wide, lovely eyes. 52:20
58: She Who Disputeth (Al-Mujadilah)
- On the Last Day good Muslims will not love their non-Muslim friends and
family members, not even their fathers, sons, or brothers (or their mothers, daughters, or sisters). 58:22
60: She That Is To Bbe Examined (Al-Mumtahanah)
- Your family and children won't help you on the day of resurrection. 60:3
- Abraham set a good example for you when he said to his family, "We reject everything you worship besides Allah, and we reject you.
We will hate you forever until you believe only in Allah." 60:4
63: The Hypocrites (Al-Munafiqun)
- Don't let your children distract you from your duty to Allah. 63:9
64: Mutual Dissolution (Al-Taghabun)
- Your wives and children are your enemies. They are to you only a temptation. 64:14-15
65: Divorce (At-Talaq)
- Instructions for divorcing your wives. 65:1-6
- Allah's rules for divorcing wives that have not yet reached puberty. 65:4
66: Banning (At-Tahrim)
- O Prophet! Why bannest thou that which Allah hath made lawful for thee, seeking to please thy wives?"
Allah says it's OK for Muhammad to have sex with any of his wives whenever he wants. 66:1
- Muhammad's wives need to be careful. If they criticize their husband,
Allah will replace them with better ones. 66:5
- The wives of Noah and Lot (who were both righteous) betrayed their husbands and are
now in the Fire. 66:10
78: The Tiding (An-Naba)
- Those in the Gardens will have maidens for companions. 78:33