- Genesis 4:19
- And Lamech took unto him two wives.
- Genesis 16:1-4
- Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian,
whose name was Hagar.
And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I
pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram
hearkened to the voice of Sarai.
And Sarai ... gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived.
- Genesis 25:6
- But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had....
- Genesis 26:34
- Esau ... took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the
daughter of Elon the Hittite.
- Genesis 28:9
- Esau .. took ... Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael
... to be his wife.
- Genesis 31:17
- Then Jacob rose up, and set ... his wives upon camels.
- Genesis 32:22
- He [Jacob] ... took his two wives, and his two womenservants.
- Exodus 21:10
- If he take him another wife....
- Deuteronomy 21:15
- If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated....
- Judges 8:30
- And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.
- 1 Samuel 1:1-2
- Elkanah ... had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other
- 2 Samuel 12:7-8
- Thus saith the LORD God of Israel ... I gave thee ... thy master's wives....
- 1 Kings 11:2-3
- Solomon ... had seven hundred wives ... and three hundred concubines.
- 1 Chronicles 4:5
- And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.
- 2 Chrornicles 11:21
- Rehoboam ... took eighteen wives, and threescore concubines.
- 2 Chronicles 13:21
- But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives....
- 2 Chronicles 24:3
- Jehoiada took for him two wives....
- Matthew 25:1
- Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went
forth to meet the bridegroom.
- 1 Timothy 3:2
- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife....
[unlike non-bishops, who may have several]
- Titus 1:6-7
- If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
For a bishop must be blameless.
[It's OK for non-blameless, non-bishops to have several wives.]
- Genesis 2:24
- Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall
cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
- Deuteronomy 17:17
- Neither shall he multiply wives to himself.
- Matthew 19:4-5
- Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them
male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and
mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh.
- Matthew 19:9
- Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall
marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit
- Mark 10:11
- Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth
adultery against her.
- 1 Corinthians 7:2
- Let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
- Ephesians 5:33
- Let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as
himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.