Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Science and History in Helaman
- The Lamanites (Native Americans) had "an innumerable army" that was armed with swords and cimeters. Yet
no evidence for such weapons in the Pre-Columbian New World has ever been found. 1:14
- The Nephites "began to cover the whole earth." Yet no evidence for Native Americans of Israelite descent has
ever been found. 3:8
- The Nephites built cities, temples, synagogues, sanctuaries, "and all manner of buildings." But no trace of
them has ever been found. 3:9
- The Nephites had a large timber industry. They exported "much by the way of shipping."
Of course, there is no evidence for any of this now.
- The Nephites built "many cities, both of wood and of cement." No evidence of them exists today.
- The Nephites built ships, temples, synagogues, and sanctuaries. But no one has found any evidence of them.
- The Nepites wrote many books and records "of every kind", but no evidence for them exists today.
- "From the west sea [Pacific], even unto the east [Atlantic]; it being a day's journey for a Nephite."
(Nephites could walk 5000 kilometers in one day.) 4:7