Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Injustice in Helaman
- Pacumeni was executed for causing rebellion and trying "to destroy the liberty of the people."
- The Nepites "mixed with the Lamanites" and became "wicked, wild, and ferocious, yea, even becoming Lamanites."
- Those who rebelled against the Nephites (Mormons) were killed or "driven out of the land." 4:2
- The Nephites became "a wicked people ... wicked even like unto the Lamanites [Native Americans]."
- The Nephites "began to disbelieve ... and the judgments of God did stare them in the face." (God doesn't
like disbelievers.) 4:23
- God withdrew his miraculous protection from the Nephites because "they had fallen into a state of
- The only way anyone can be saved is "through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ." This statement was
supposedly made in 30 BCE! 5:9
- God gives Nephi the power to "smite the earth with famine, and with pestilence, and destruction."
- And if he asks God to "smite this people, it shall come to pass." 10:10
- Nephi asks God to send a famine on the land. "And so it was done, according to the words of
Nephi. ... And the whole earth was smitten," causing thousands of people to starve to death.
- After a couple years of starving thousands of people to death, God finally makes it rain when
asked to by Nephi. 11:14-16
- God must kill and terrorize people with starvation and disease or they won't remember him.
- God torments people in hell forever for "their iniquities." 12:20
- God will consign evil doers "to a state of endless misery" and "everlasting damnation." 12:26
- God prophesies that he will kill the Nephites with war, starvation, and disease within the next 400 years or so.
(And I guess if you believe the Book of Mormon, he did with a little help from the Lamanites).
- If there weren't some "righteous" people in the city, God would have burned everyone to death by sending
down fire from heaven. 13:13
- "Whosoever repenteth not is hewn down and cast into the fire." 14:18
- Those who believe will be saved; those who don't will be damned. 14:29
- God loved the Nephites, but hated the Lamanites "because of the iniquity of the tradition of their
- If the Nephites don't repent, God will kill them all for their unbelief. 15:17