1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24
26 27 28 29
31 32 33
Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Changes in the BoM
Dwindling in Unbelief
-Blogging the Book of Mormon
2 Nephi: 1830 Edition
2 Nephi: Seminary
Prophecy in 2 Nephi
- Lehi prophesies that no one will come to the New World unless they are lead there by God.
- Joseph Smith makes some modest prophecies about himself. He will be a choice seer, esteemed highly, and
shall do "a work of great worth." He will be great in God's eyes, like Moses, and will do God's work. He will bring
forth God's word, confound false doctrines, establish peace, and bring knowledge in the latter days. All those who seek
to destroy him will be confounded. He will be like God and will bring God's people to salvation. He will have exceeding faith,
work mighty wonders, and do what is great in the sight of God. 3:6-24
"A choice seer will I raise out of the fruit of thy loins."
The "choice seer" is, of course, Joseph Smith. He is prophesied to be a direct descendant of Joseph (the
fruit of his loins). But Joseph Smith couldn't have sprung from any Nephite's loins, since (according to
Mormon 6) they all died leaving no descendants. 3:7
"When ... they ... believe in me, that I am Christ ... they shall be restored ... unto the lands of their inheritance."
False prophecy: the Jews returned to Israel without converting to Christianity. 10:7
- All Americans will someday worship God. (And become Mormons?) 10:19
- Here is a clear prophecy of the future Mormon church: "And in that day, seven women shall take hold of one
man, saying: let us be called by thy name to take away our reproach." 14:1
- These verses falsely predict that Babylon will never again be inhabited. 23:19-20
- Dragons will live in Babylonian palaces and satyrs will dance there. 23:21-22
- "The Lord God shall bring forth unto you the words of a book."
The Book of Mormon prophesies itself! 27:6
- The Book of Mormon will be sealed until God delivers it to a man.
(Gosh, could that man be Joseph
- Another marvelous BoM prophecy: many shall say, "A Bible! We have got a Bible." And they certainly have.
This is especially amazing since this prophecy was allegedly made around 550 BCE, long before either the canon or the
name of the "Bible" existed. 29:3
- Fools will say, "A Bible! We have got a Bible, and we need no more (damned) Bible." 29:6
- Before many generations pass, Native Americans will convert to Mormonism, their skins will turn white, and they
will become a "delightsome" people. 30:6
- The Jews will also be converted and become a "delightsome" people. 30:7
- God will "smite the earth with the rod of his mouth; and with the breath of his mouth he shall slay the wicked."
How's that for some bad breath? 30:9
- God must burn wicked people to death. (I guess he has no choice in the matter.) 30:10