2 Chronicles: Family Values
- Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his wives and his concubines." 11:21a
- "He took eighteen wives, and threescore concubines." 11:21b
- "And begat twenty and eight sons, and threescore daughters."
Rehoboam had 88 children (28 sons and 60 daughters) and wins
Quiverfull prize. 11:21c
- "Rehoboam ... dealt wisely ... and desired many wives." 11:22-23
- "But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives." Apparently, in the eyes of God, a man's status is
determined by the number of wives that he possesses. 13:21
- "Whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or
great, whether man or woman." 15:13
- Elijah tells Jehoram that God will smite his children, wives, and the people of Judah with a
great plague (for things that Jehoram did) and God will smite him with a disease of his bowels until
his bowels fall out. 21:14-15
- The LORD stirred up against Jehoram the spirit of the Philistines, and of the Arabians ...
And they came up into Judah, and ... and carried away ... his sons also, and his wives; so that there
was never a son left him, save Jehoahaz, the youngest of his sons." 21:16-17
- "Jehoiada took for him two wives" -- without comment, complaint, or criticism from the bible.
- The Israelites enslave 200,000 women and children "because they had forsaken the Lord God of
their fathers." 28:6, 8
- God gets angry with his people, so he sends the king of the Chaldees to kill all the "young men with the
sword." He has compassion for no one, not even old men that are "stooped for age." In his tender mercy and loving
kindness he has them all slaughtered. 36:16-17