Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
1 Peter: Interpretation
- "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ"
The author of 1 Peter claims to be the apostle Peter. Most Bible scholars, however, believe it was forged.
(According to Acts 4.13, Peter was illiterate.) 1:1
- "Submit yourselves ... to the king ... for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well."
Monarchy is the Biblically-approved form of government whose purpose is to punish evildoers and praise do-gooders.
- Does God approve of slavery? 2:18
- Should women have the same rights as men? 3:1
- Is Jesus God? 3:21-22
- The Watchtower Society teaches that there is no consciousness after death. But if that is so, then how could
Jesus have preached to the "spirits in prison?" 3:19, 4:6